Friday, January 6, 2017

Trolling Music -- Art at Its Finest

by Austin C.

Trolling is a unique and passionate art of mine.  It can be seen as annoying by some, but for me it is entertainment at its finest.  Many moments have the potential for a good trolling; it can be anything the troller desires.

Music is a common medium I use to express my sense of trolling.  One of my favorite inspirations for trolling music is the late, great John Cage.  Some people may think his music was just experimental, but I know, deep down, he was really trolling them all.  There have been a couple of his pieces I have enjoyed trolling including 4’33”, a piece where I sat at a piano for four minutes and thirty-three seconds not making a noise, and Radio Music, where I sat with a radio turning to random stations for an unspecified amount of time.

There are other famous trollers in music, one being Steve Reich who “unintentionally” based the majority of his compositions off of one rhythm.  It is obvious this one rhythm is the key to his art of trolling music.  Some other not so famous musical trollings I have witnessed include simply eating breakfast, breaking small objects sporadically, and singing and dancing dressed as a giant banana.  Music is full of trolls, and more are being created every day.

The quality of trolling is determined by the relations between the troller and the trollees.  Trolling an audience used to being trolled could feel like a playful joke.  On the other hand, an audience with no history of musical trolling could find it aggravating or confusing.  Personally, I prefer a good mix of both types of audiences.  It is funny to know there are people being confused by the trolling, while everyone is stifling laughter.

Even though music is my favorite way to troll, there can be many others ways to troll as well.  With so many methods available for trolling, the possibilities become endless.  Trolling is a fine art; make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment