Friday, January 6, 2017

One Little Word

by Jane B.

Every January, I resolve to make myself a more organized person, a friendlier person, a thinner person, a happier person. To accomplish these goals, I must completely overhaul my routines, my habits, my life. Every February (sometimes it’s March), I admit to myself that I’ve failed in my resolutions. Then I’m disappointed in myself. I feel resigned that I will never become the person I want to be.

So this year, I’m taking a different approach to New Year’s resolutions. I’m participating in the One Little Word Challenge. The challenge is to choose a word that will guide me throughout the new year.

Words I considered included better, start, and accept. But none of these words seemed exceptional or rich enough. I wasn’t sure I’d remember the word or that it would apply across different contexts. I struggled with this decision for three days. I was a little surprised how much significance I was placing on this choice. And then one day, while driving down the highway, it came to me! My one word was so simple! My one word was one!

ONE. 

One filing drawer. One closet shelf. One week’s lesson plans. One to-do list. To be more organized and take charge of my life, all I have to do is tidy up one thing at a time.

One vegetable. One glass of water. One meal plan. One walk around the block. To be healthy and work toward my weight loss goal, all I have to do is take one step at a time.

One spontaneous road trip. One piece of chocolate. One shopping splurge. One chapter of my bedside book. To be more content and happy with myself, all I have to do is grant myself one indulgence at a time.

One smile for a passer-by. One hug for a child. One conversation with a stranger. One compliment for a colleague. To be more friendly and spread more joy, all I have to do is devote to one person at a time. 


Every day I’m going to ask myself what is one thing I can do to make myself happier, healthier, or more productive. I’m only one imperfect person. I don’t have to reach my goals all at once, but rather one change, one breath at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment