Friday, January 6, 2017

Being Your Sister...

by Rebecca E.

The other day, Mama asked me if I could ever remember a time when I did not have a brother. I thought back to see if I could remember a time without one of you two in my life. I recalled a few memories of Mama and I at the kitchen counter together cooking dinner every night, when it was just us two in a small apartment. I recollected the memory of the day Mama and Daddy got married, and I felt as if my family was whole for the first time. But that was such a long time ago. I wonder if the only reason I can even remember those memories are because of all the pictures Nannie keeps.

Caleb, my first memories of you started before you were even born. I can remember being told I was going to a big sister. I was five and so excited to think that I would now have someone to boss around for the rest of my life. I remember how thrilled and scared I was as Mama went in to the hospital to have you. I wore my big sister shirt proudly, but I was nervous because I knew everything from that point on was going to change. Now here we are today, and I can honestly say that you are the best friend I could ever ask for. Of course you know that we did not always see eye to eye when we were younger, and most of our fights ended with you in a headlock and yelling for Mama. You and I both know our good memories outweigh the not so great ones. It has been so amazing to see you grow into the young man you are today. From all of our long talks on the way home from your football practices, to all of the crazy dances and beats we make up when a song comes on, I am thankful that I was able to grow up with you by my side.

Ian Kance, you are the light of my world and have been since you were born. You and I have different relationship than Caleb and I. I was twelve when mama told us that she was going to have you. Of course I prayed for a little sister because I already had Caleb, and I wanted a little mini me to help dress up. God had other plans for our family though. He knew that I probably could not handle a little sister so, he gave us your crazy self instead, and I am so thankful he did. Everyone in our family constantly reminds me about how much you are like me when I was your age, and I have even found myself noticing the little things you do that are like me. I love the squeeze hugs I get from you and the sassy little attitude you can give when you know you’re right. I can remember a time before you unlike Caleb, but I would never want to live my life without you in it again.


When I became a big sister sixteen years ago my life changed forever. I did not just become a sister that day. I became an advice giver, a teacher, a role model, and a best friend. I had to step up and be a leader for you both because I knew every day you would be watching to see the decisions I made. I can only hope that I have made you as proud to be my brothers as I am to be your sister. You both have affected my life in so many ways. I once heard someone say because I have a brother I have lifelong friend. Well, I was blessed with two amazing brothers, and because of you two, I will always have someone to talk to, laugh with, pick on, and love unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment