Monday, December 19, 2016

Where I'm From

by Ashley W.

I’m from freshly cooked food
from softly lit candles and giggling children who always want to play.
I’m from the big brick house that sits alone on a lonely road
but is full of people and lovely smells that never seem to disappear.
I’m from the weeping willow tree that slowly grows in the front yard.
The hearty chestnut trees that surround me
whose long gone limbs I remember as if they were my own.
I’m from family get-togethers and always being late
from the County Mayor and the First Lady.
I’m from church on Sunday and sleeping in and
from early morning brunches that no one ever seems to miss.
I’m from clean your plate and say your prayers
and “Silent Night” sung softly before bedtime.
I’m from family reunions at the park a few miles down the road.
I’m from Knoxville, Tennessee but Loudon, Tennessee is my home.
I’m from bubbling hot apple cake and twice baked potatoes drowning in cheese
from holiday parties where everyone’s eyes are far bigger than their stomachs.

I’m from my grandmother’s diamond that I now wear as my own.
It snugly sits on the ring finger of my left hand, reminding me of her every day and her love that I will forever treasure in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment