Monday, December 19, 2016

Being a Sister

by Lindsey T.

It’s been 19 years down this road.
Let me tell ya, it hasn’t always been easy.

My tyrant of a brother came roaring into my life
after two and a half years of blissful living.

And since that day,
there hasn’t been a package of Oreos that I could certainly call mine.

And since that day,
I’ve had my defenses up against that 200lb beast of a boy
who made a hobby out of sitting on me.

As if my parents hadn’t put me through enough,
another Taylor child graced the world with her presence.

And graceful she was,
smiling as person after person
Oohhed and ahhhed at her mere existence.

Little did those oohers and ahhhers know
this smiling baby girl was not so precious
at 3 am this morning.

That little boy’s love of food did become
my greatest ally anytime mom let us go to the grocery store.

And there was that time he helped me climb to the top of that huge tree,
and that time we discovered our own mountain bike course, created just for us,
and that time we bladed around the garage because it was raining too hard and mom wouldn’t let us leave the house.

Come to think of it, we spent most of our days playing together.

And while most never saw the fussy nights we had to endure for that baby girl,
they also never got to see our secret giggles during nap time
or the endless funny faces we have been able to create together.

You see, being a sister is a hard job,
but if you can stick it out for as long as I have,

you will surely find some hidden treasures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment